Don't think outside the box, get outside the box.     Schrödinger's cat is in that box!

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Blog Post #9

What I have Learned This Year

a super hero of a teacher     This is the type of blogging I can really get enthused about. A real-deal self reflection, warts and all. Mr. McClung sheds some insight into his first three years of teaching. At times it is not so rosy a picture. I felt his pain and have experienced being new to a position and wanting so badly to be perfect. If only. If only it was so easy to have all the answers and experience right away. But the learning curve is quite bumpy and rarely a smooth process. Mr. McClung is a brave and honest soul and for that I am grateful. I will have my own struggles and learning curves. I will not be surprised if they closely mirror his struggles. If what does not kill you really and truly makes you stronger then he is on his way to becoming "Super Teacher." And his students become the real winners in the long run.  
Super students, perhaps!
super student

Being flexible while learning to be less controlling and establishing lines of communication were among the first important concepts that Mr. McClung recognized as being pivotal to success. I am well aware that am not as flexible as I should be. I have known this a long time and continue to work on the 'everything has to be perfect' concept. After all, it is not about my experience as a teacher but what the student stands to gain. Mr. McClung's experiences are valuable tools for the new teacher.

     His advice on finding a 'school mom' is such a good idea. He is brave to admit to being a momma's boy. That reference really brings home the idea that the new teacher needs to find a mentor to help the adjustment period that is easily going to be the entire first school year. I have made it a point in new situations to find a trustworthy ally that knows the ropes and is willing to help be my guide. There is no reason to tackle some situations by yourself. On the other hand I really enjoy being in the position to help others on occasion. I guess that is why this profession has chosen me.

2 comments:

  1. "His advise on finding a 'school mom' is such a good idea." Advice, not advise.

    Royalty always has problems with perfection. I know!

    I am confident you will be a reflective teacher like Mr. McClung. It is very useful to do an annual review!

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura!

    I loved your picture of the "super student." It was very cute! I also loved reading the post because it was a self-reflection. It gives future teachers a glimpse of what we will experience in the future.
    When you say you aren't as flexible as you should be, what exactly do you mean by that? Do you mean that you are not flexible with your schedule?

    Great post!

    Laura Ellenburg

    ReplyDelete