Don't think outside the box, get outside the box.     Schrödinger's cat is in that box!

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Project #10

My PLN

structure of a personal learning plan
     Prior to EDM310 I was for all practical purposes alone in my classes at USA. Granted I have an adviser, wonderful friends, a supportive family, and a patient, helpful boyfriend. But as far as I was concerned it seemed like I was swimming through semesters struggling to get by. I assumed that was the way it was supposed to be and I did the best I could. When I needed to vent there was always Facebook. But still I felt alone. Then by a small miracle I found the Khan Academy online. Sal and his team have created over 3,000 instructional videos on an impressive scale. Biology101 was at that point a breeze. Help and support is there for the finding. After a few weeks in EDM310 I now  know there is so much more support 'out there.'

     What has become apparent over the past several weeks is that I have been unconsciously setting up my PLN or Personal Learning Network through the projects, activities, and assignments of EDM310. Bookmarks on my computer have multiplied quickly and have required reorganization a few times to keep them manageable. I have found interesting, colorful educators on Twitter. I check Tweetdeck several times a day just to see what has happened. And when I reach out I have been acknowledged in record time. And now I have an iPhone. The apps are multiplying and then becoming reorganized into similar cells. I am not alone at all. Granted I am still the one responsible for my education but I definitely do not have to struggle nearly as much.


Symbaloo
has a format for organizing a PLN that is interesting and easy to plan and use. One stop shopping, so to speak. On my PLN I am organizing all my interests, even including my banking. I am creating a living document that changes as my needs change. Bookmarks clogging up my computer screen are heading the way of the dinosaur it seems.
thumbs up

I am not alone.
I am becoming a more engaged member of the 21st century.

 Finally.

No comments:

Post a Comment